- The Significance of the Frontier in American
1. According to the census superintendent's recent bulletin, what had
happened to the frontier?
2. How did the frontier promote a "perennial rebirth" of American social
3. What is the "aim" of Turner's paper?
4. In your opinion, what has happened to the dominant, expansive American
character since the close of the Western frontier in 1890?
Turner suggests that the East Coast was strongly influenced by
European ways and that, as America expanded westward, it became more originally
American. Consider where you live in America. Do you see traits in your
character that could be considered more European or more "American frontier"
in origin? Explain your answer.